Saturday, September 15, 2007

Cancer and the Love of God

While trading messages on a board for Access 2007 (which I am trying to learn and failing mightily) one of my corresponders mentioned that he was afraid of cancer. His friend had been recently diagnosed and it scared him.

My response of course was that there is no reason to fear cancer. That may sound crazy even cold to some, but there is no reason to fear cancer. You, however, must do some things, take action such that there is no reason.

First, God is in control. What happens to you is all part of the plan He set for you before you were born, if you are following Him, and if not, then its part of your plan by your own perspectives. So, I would suggest that you make your peace with your maker.

Second, you have to get regular check ups and keep track of what your body tells you. If you do that, almost any cancer can be managed.

Having now lived 56 months cancer free (60 is considered cured) with a Stage IV (there is no stage V) head and neck cancer that has a 70% death rate, and of those 30% who live, 70% of those have a recurrance within three years and die.

So, I am blessed to be alive. If God had not intervened, I would not be writing this today. God helped me make the decisions, even though some of them seemed wrong, God helped me find the doctors, though some of them were wrong, and God helped me live with the changes (dysphagia, g-tube, trache) that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

But I wake up every morning. And in that I am blessed.

God has given me a new story, a new life with which to tell people about His love.

Get your checkups, listen to what God tells you through your heart, listen to what your body tells you about how it is doing, and you have no reason to fear cancer.

Remember, Christ gives us hope, hope in life eternal, so the end of this one is just the beginning of the next one. And once you have something like cancer, you can see that transition and not be afraid of it.

I do not wish this illness on anyone, it is the most difficult process to go through in life that I know, but when there is hope, and reason to live, in this life or the next, then all will go well.

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home