Sunday, November 26, 2006

Saddleback, Syria & Rick Warren

Over the year that I have attended Saddleback Church there have been many times that Rick Warren, the pastor has gone on trips to various parts of the world. One thing I appreciate about Pastor Warren is that at Saddleback he does not try to do it all. He has a great staff with many qualified pastors any of which could lead the church. Yes, Rick Warren is the founder but God is the Master here and that is a certainty.

Recently Rick Warren went on a trip to Germany, Syria and Rawanda. While in Syria he was able to see many people including leaders in government, the church and others. All starting with an invitation from his neighbor in Southern California.

This past week I have been quite shocked as to how many bloggers have spoken against Rick for visiting Syria. I know that Pastor Warren does not need me to defend him, nor anyone for that matter as he is doing God's work and that needs no defense, but some people do their best to stand against anything that does not fit their idea of what the church should be doing.

Its kind of like I dont like the way you hold your flag because you don't hold it the way I do. Now its still the American Flag, it is still held respectfully but its not how I do it so I dont like it. If I wanted to put this to reality, and God forgive me as i dont handle this that well and I am commanded to love everyone, when you see an American Flag on a car or truck and sometimes they say "God Bless America" I feel differently if I see the flag on the back of a Chevy or a Ford than I do if its on a Toyota or a Honda. Those people probably love America and God as much or more than I do, but they choose to use their wallets in Japan instead of America.

The same thing I think applies to people who are blogging up all kinds of disrespectful ideas about Rick Warren because he went to Syria and the Syrian press covered it the way you would expect them to, they made everything sound good for Syria and bad for America. Does that mean that Rick was holding the flag wrong? I dont think so.

I believe that he was answering to a higher power than the flag which I believe he loves, but to God answering an opportunity to speak the Love of Jesus Christ to anyone who might listen even if what he said may have been twisted in the press. What is not twisted in the press these days, even here in the US?

God loves all, that does not mean He approves of all they do, but He loves all the world. Love your enemies Jesus said.

My heart tells me that this is what Rick Warren was doing, regardless of what men say about it. Keep up the good work Rick. We that understand are with you.

Living the Dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home